Finance & Accounting Director - Central Alberta - Municipal Sector
Competitive Compensation & Benefits
Other Similar Titles:
- Manager Finance / Accounting
- Accounting & Finance Manager / Director
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Finance is accountable for the financial management of the rural municipality and as a controller and treasurer, this position plans, coordinates, supervises and executes the activities of the organization's accounting, finance, budget & risk management functions. This leadership role requires an active, knowledgeable, engaged, and hands-on designated professional who can mentor and lead the finance / accounting team, develop positive relationships with other internal staff & leaders, various user groups, and execute functional tasks as required responsible for strategic and operational decisions pertaining to all departments.
Some Key responsibilities:
- Provide leadership & mentorship to the staff of the Finance Department by ensuring that financial deliverables are accurately completed on schedule
- Key advisor to the CAO or as a prepared team member on projects, initiatives & cross-department initiatives
- Serve as the key financial liaison with internal and external stakeholders including the Municipal District's elected Council
- Responsible for the internal & external reporting requirements & updates
- Coordinates, monitors & executes functional accounting & processes.
- Responsible for the risk management programs including initiatives, reporting, mitigation and processes and procedures.
- Ensures orderly scheduling & compilation of annual & multi-year MD's operating & capital budgets including mills rates bylaw preparation for the CAO
Ideal Candidates will likely have many of the following Attributes:
The successful candidate will be rewarded with a competitive salary and benefits package, a variety of developmental opportunities, and the opportunity to make a real difference. Plus, you will have time to enjoy our community. TSSHP
- CPA designation (or eligible will be considered)
- 5+ experience in progressive accounting & finance roles with at least 3+ years in senior leadership role(s)
- Post Secondary education in Management, Accounting / Finance or Administration
- Experience leading an organization that is run by a board of directors or body of elected officials
- Experience working with the Alberta Municipal Government Act (MGA), environmental legislation and other related legislation is considered an asset
- Ability to lead a team and build positive working relationships with both internal & external stakeholders
- Superior communication skills with a focus on transparency, team participation & safety
- Class 5 driver’s license