Afternoon Shift Yard Supervisor
Rugged production/manufacturing experience candidates will be of high interest
2-5 years of production management experience
Hourly rate from $21 to $23 Per hour $42-46K annually + option for overtime
Attractive Base Salary + Benefits + great company perks + 2 weeks vacation
Our client, a construction / building materials business located in Mississauga, ON are looking for an afternoon yard shift supervisor $42-46K who is responsible for providing the direction and leadership for a team of 15-20 people. If you have experience managing a team in production this could be your next great move. The company is known for growth and promoting within. They have fantastic leadership and are very strategic thinkers.
This is a fantastic position if you are looking to join a great business with a strong focus on customer retention who are well respected in the industry. The chosen candidate will have strong experience with production/manufacturing within construction or garbage waste or metal or recycling... needs to have rugged production experience.
About the company.
Our client is one of North America’s leading full service distributors and re-manufacturers of lumber. The selected candidate will be responsible for leading, motivating and coaching a team in our distribution and re-manufacturing facility.
o Proud to be named one of Canada's 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures
o Repeat winner of CANADA’S BEST MANAGED COMPANIES
o One of Canada’s PROFIT 500 Fastest-Growing Companies
o Recipient of the 2017-18 Canadian Business Excellence Awards for Private Businesses
This position is the lead position on the Afternoon (2nd
) Shift. The position is responsible all Yard, Warehouse and Administrative functions as well as working with and providing support to the Mill Team Lead/Supervisor to ensure the safe and efficient movement of material through the facility.
Health and Safety:
- To ensure that company has a safe workplace, that there are no injuries to our staff, and that company is in compliance of all legislation.
- Ensure that all incidents, accidents and/or hazards are reported and investigated.
- Cooperate with the Joint Health and Safety Committee to improve safety.
- Ensure that all required personal protective equipment is worn.
- Inspect product daily to ensure it is stored in a safe manner at all times.
- Ensure that housekeeping activities are performed.
- Comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)
- Comply with Health and Safety rules, policies and procedures
- Attract, retain and develop a great team
- Responsible for all Yard and Warehouse employees and for communicating with Mill Team Lead/Supervisor as required.
- Communicate with administrative, yard, and management staff as required and in a timely manner.
- Approve overtime hours as applicable.
- Ensure that performance appraisals are conducted on yard personnel.
- Conduct interviews with potential candidates as applicable.
- Conduct orientation for new hires as applicable.
- Perform other duties as assigned by your Supervisor/Manager.
- Provide and/or participate in training as required.
- Ensure accurate documentation is completed on all inbound stock from all transport modes.
- Ensure proactive load/order staging occurs for future dispositions.
- Ensure all purchases and customer orders are processed with the required specifications (i.e species, grade, count, moisture content, quality, packaging, tagging etc.)
- Ensure accurate tallies are taken on stock in a timely manner.
- Ensure required and correct stock is pulled and staged in a timely manner.
- Ensure accurate tallies (counts) occur on all outbound stock.
- Ensure that accurate verifications occur on all work orders and extensions.
- Ensure that all tallies and delivery slips indicate correct information and calculations.
- Ensure that all outbound shipments are inspected for proper and safe packaging and strapping and that all mill tags have been removed.
- Ensure that instructions forwarded by the Operations department are dealt with in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all material delivered on the shift (trucks and railcars) is received properly and that all material has the proper affixed to it.
- Ensure that inbound lifts are properly placed on tie bottoms, safely stacked and stored.
- Ensure that all driver’s documentation for inbound loads are verified including reconciliation of the purchase order and actual count.
- Ensure that stock is appropriately rotated and ensure sales staff is informed of “old” product available for sale.
- Ensure that stock counts occur in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all yard equipment is kept in good working order and damage is reported to the Supervisor in a timely manner.
- Ensure that Preventative Maintenance schedules are implemented and followed on all yard equipment.
- Ensure that equipment usage is optimized.
- Ensure that daily inspections on forklift occur and are documented.
- Ensure that all security breaches are reported to the Supervisor in a timely manner.
- Responsible for locking up and arming the alarm for the facility as necessary. This requires a sweep of the building and facility to make sure that everything is secure everyone is out of the building.
- Provide accurate information to allow us to consistently increase efficiency and become a “lower cost” producer
- Aide in the formulation for the annual operating budget as it pertains to the Yard.
- Ensure that department expenditures are in line with the budgeted amounts and communicate any discrepancies to the Manager in a timely manner.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Knowledge of all lumber and panel product lines is an asset.
- Organized and able to manage multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Strong initiative and follow-up skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player with ability to self manage and prioritize.