Based in Toronto, ON, the Development Manager will report to the Vice President, Development and will work extensively with all members of eastern Canadian development team, with projects in Ontario and Quebec. Duties for this role include: supporting for the overall development project management and assistance with project conception to execution and closeout, coordinate with the necessary permitting authorities for the receipt of regulatory permits for these projects, preparing presentation materials (written and graphic) to support senior management, and coordinating with various third-party consultants. Projects encompass all asset types including multi-family residential (rental and condominium), industrial, retail, mixed-use, and office.
What the Development Manager role encompasses:
- Support the construction engineering, planning, and design for new or expansion projects;
- Prepare reports, review specifications, conduct technical analysis to fully define the design requirements, equipment and services required on new, expansion and remodeling projects;
- Responsible for soliciting the services of architects, engineers, and consultants, and then for developing, executing and managing those contracts;
- Negotiate contracts with General Contractors and trade contractors and present formal documentation for approval when required;
- Ensure that contracts are fit for purpose, cost effective and incorporate appropriate Service Level Agreements;
- Have a thorough understanding of, overall site management, coordination, planning, specification of business proposals and coordination of subcontractors; for large scale construction projects.
- Coordinate directly with Asset Management to conceive and execute the development strategies for our properties;
- Work with construction and accounting to prepare and track budgets and schedules for each project and will manage each project within the approved project budget and schedule;
- Complete ongoing analysis on key components of the development, including sensitivity analyses, and identifying key issues impacting profitability;
- Track comparable and competing development activity across property types;
- Coordination with project consultants including planning, architectural, legal, etc.; and,
- Prepare regular progress reports on existing development projects.
Development Manager, who you are:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience within development and construction
- Understanding and experience with permitting process in Toronto and the surrounding areas
- Experience completing high end commercial and residential construction projects.
- A bachelor's degree in Architecture, Engineering or Construction Management.
- Demonstrable experience with essential development contracts such as contracts for architectural services, engineering services, and general contracting services.
- Demonstrable experience with permitting agencies, either as an architect or owners' project manager.
- Fluent reading architectural and engineering plans for residential real estate
- Computer Skills – Highly functional capabilities in utilizing Excel, Argus Enterprise, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Communication and Collaboration Skills – Superior English writing and oral communication skills; ability to develop and sustain collaborative and effective working relationships with all personalities; ability to exercise discretion and strict confidentiality.
- Organizational Skills and Work Habits – Ability to take initiative and own your responsibilities to produce high quality work product with minimal supervision; ability to thrive in a fast-paced, fluid and dynamic work environment dedicated to excellence; ability to prioritize multiple demands, allocate time effectively, work under pressure, and meet tight deadlines; flexible and adaptive to new ideas and constant changes; ability to focus on the detail to produce accurate and reliable work product while also grasping the bigger picture; possess intellectual curiosity and a strong desire to learn and develop.
- Embrace and pro-actively support company values and culture of environmental sustainability, and corporate and social responsibility.
Development Manager Salary:
Market leading compensation, Bonus, Benefits, Education, Project diversity and stability!
Development Manager Similar Job Titles:
Vice President Development
Senior Director Development
Senior Development Manager
Only applicants with the legal right to work in Canada can be considered for this opportunity.
We thank all those who express interest in this opportunity however only those short-listed we be contacted.