Supplier relationship experience is a must
Construction/Building Materials experience is an asset.
Attractive Base Salary + Benefits + Vacation
Reports to the VP
Our client, a construction / building materials business located in Calgary, AB are looking for a Hardware Buyer (commodities) (80-85K) is responsible for providing the direction and leadership for the vendor and product programs related to our buying group and our members. The Hardware Buyer is also responsible for the selection of products and suppliers within their assigned category group to meet market and customer demand while ensuring target margin levels achieved and maximum profitability. The Hardware Buyer is also responsible for product category review and analysis and developing strategic plans for product selection and competitive pricing to meet customer and dealer requirements.
This is a fantastic position if you are looking to join an award winning business who are highly respected in the industry. The chosen candidate will have strong experience with Supplier Relationship management.
Our client is a leader in their industry with a well established image among their client base and competition. Their culture is one that respects and values their employees and always leads by example to promote and grow from previous years. Strong values and ethics within the organization has allowed them to prosper year after year. This is a fantastic company to work for with a senior leadership team strategically promoting within.
The position of the Hardware Buyer
plays a key role for the success and profitability within the organization. The areas of focus accountable for are as follows;
Pricing, Product and Vendor Selection, Category Review, Flyer Selection and Pricing, National Show, Staff Supervision, Dealer/Vendor support.
The candidate should have experience with import activities, such as brokerage, oversea freight, direct buy of goods (mainly from China) knowledge of hardware procurement and knowledge of direct import procurement are two main skill sets for success in this position.
Product and Vendor Selection
- To review market pricing in order to negotiate better costs or commercial agreements with vendors.
- To align prices in accordance with the market to achieve company and dealer margins, targets and budgets.
- To acquire market information, competitors and Vendors.
- To select products which maximize profitability and meet customer and market place demands.
- To select vendors and products that are current and will drive our dealer’s sales and profitability.
Import/Cross dock initiatives
- To ensure the proper vendors and products that meet our dealer’s sales and profitability objectives.
- To routinely review categories and sub-categories to ensure their productivity and competitiveness.
- To decide whether to promote or discontinue vendors based on their market performance.
Flyer Selection and Pricing
- Identify and build opportunities for pool buys to the benefit of our dealers
- To routinely review import opportunities to gain a competitive advantage for our dealers.
- To communicate and sell these opportunities to our dealers. collecting orders and building truckloads and containers to be cross docked at our distribution facilities.
- To select products within assigned product category for flyers.
- To negotiate deals with suppliers to enhance sales and ensure margin levels.
- To establish retail and promotional prices based on market activity.
- To negotiate trade discounts and terms.
- To select which vendors will appear in the National Show.
- Negotiate buys for the National Show
- To assist in preparations for the National Show.
The successful candidate will have a "can do" attitude and experience in an environment that values teamwork and individual effort. This candidate will have a proven track record of vendor relationship management and delivering high level projects in a procurement role. Knowledge of the building materials, hardware and lumber industry will be considered an asset.