As one of Eastern Ontario’s largest heavy civil construction companies, our client has completed hundreds of residential, commercial and public infrastructure projects that serve communities, including roads, sewers, watermains and stormwater management facilities. They've been a trusted partner to municipalities and nearly every private developer in the region over the past 70 years.
The Senior Estimator is responsible for the preparation and timely delivery of full-cost estimates for projects. They will be tasked with preparing and maintaining a list of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors, and establishing unit costs, labor rates, productivity factors and location impacts. Performance of the duties must ensure a quality approach to all employees, customers, subcontractors, managers and suppliers. All responsibilities must be performed in a manner consistent with the client's vision, mission, and values and must also comply with all company policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate has a passion for estimating in a variety of projects, and has experience in the revitalization of commercial, city, storm water management and greenfield development.
- Review proposal requirements and makes recommendations.
- Conduct a detailed analyses of contract documents and specifications to determine overall project requirements (bonding, insurance, etc.), and identify any associated risk factors, including the monitoring of published addendum that may alter the original scope of work.
- Participate in the preparation of the initial cost report and structure in a way that enables simple cost code identification while maintaining detailed forecast tracking of all associated labour, material, equipment and sub-trade costs.
- Assists with design review options and recommends best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials.
- Solicit pricing from subcontractors and vendors for labor, equipment and materials, in order to ascertain the lowest price.
- Consult with Site Superintendents and Project Managers as part the bid process and through completion of process to ensure bid schedules, processes and expectations are aligned and able to be followed.
- Review project budgets, schedules, and project execution plans, and identify any potential risks prior to the project starting and throughout the life cycle alongside the project team.
- In conjunction with the Director, Estimating, completes a final bid submission review and oversees the final tender document submission to the client on behalf of Client.
- Revision of take-offs prepared by other estimators.
- Organize bid closing assignments to meet submission deadlines on closing day.
- Perform additional assignments as assigned.
- Researches and recommends new vendors and subcontractors to achieve pursuit and cost goals.
- Recommends new approaches and ideas to drive continuous improvement within the Estimating department.
- All other duties as required.
Statement of Qualifications
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Civil Engineering Degree or Construction Engineering Technologist is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of work experience in heavy civil or related industry, with at least three years dedicated to estimating all aspects of heavy civil and utility (sewers and watermain) construction projects.
- Knowledge of HCSS Heavy Bid Estimating Software, familiarity with CAD and MS Project Suite.
- Ability to understand scope of work to determine project requirements.
- Understanding of labor and material requirements for various types of heavy civil projects.
- Ability to use sound judgment and make effective decisions.
- Demonstrated history of successful bid results in a deadline driven, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and be adaptable to change.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills, with fine attention to detail.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting experience.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to guide project team.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret contract specifications and drawings.
- Experience in the field would be considered as an asset.
- Strong analytical skills necessary to do material and labor estimates.
Work Environment/Physical/Sensory Effort:
- Valid driver’s license will be required to conduct ongoing site-visits.
- Manual dexterity required.
- Providing service to several people or departments, working under many simultaneous deadlines.
- Sitting or standing for long periods of time at workstation.
- Overtime as required to complete and submit project requirements on schedule.
Thank you for your interest in this job posting.
We look forward to hearing from you.
TalentSphere Staffing Solutions
|USA - Dallas