Our client, a leader in the power generation industry, is looking for a Field Service Winding Engineer.
This position is generally responsible for providing electrical and winding repair services to customers operating a wide range of original equipment, which includes generators, motors and ancillary systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
include the following.
Education and/or Experience:
- Interpret specifications and technical requirements.
- Prepare method statements.
- Review and interpret machine performance data, instrument readings and test values.
- Overhaul and clean large generators, including the necessary degree of mechanical strip down and re-build.
- Perform electrical testing. Locate diagnose and repair winding faults.
- Carry out basic mechanical strip down (and rebuild) of machines to gain access for winding work and carry out in situ winding repairs and partial /full rewinds on high and low voltage machine windings.
- Assist mechanical service engineer(s) on assignments, which will not necessarily involve winding related activities.
- Conduct electrical testing on high and low voltage windings in the field.
- Maintain photographic records.
- Attend technical meetings and functions as a liaison between the customer and the employer to help ensure the delivery of satisfactory services.
- Maintain records, submit daily reports, and prepare detailed reports for submission to project manager.
- Unless employee previously notifies immediate manager of their unavailability or in the case of an emergency, employee must be prepared to travel within a reasonably short amount of time.
- The ability and willingness to be prepared and available to travel when called upon and on short notice on a regular basis both domestically and internationally 75% - 85% of the time or as business needs dictate.
- This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive and you may be required to undertake various duties as may reasonably be required of you by the Company.
Completion of an accredited industry training program with a concentration in windings and high voltage components and three to five years field experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; commits to long hours of work and willingness to work overtime and different shifts when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Analytical - Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service - Responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Visionary Leadership - Inspires respect and trust.
- Leadership - Inspires and motivates others to perform well; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Business Acumen - Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; supports organization's goals and values.
- Judgement - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Motivation - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently; sets goals and objectives.
- Professionalism - Reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works at a fast pace when required.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; seeks increased responsibilities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Ability to read, write and understand English.
Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of Canadian money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of:
Proficient with Microsoft Office – specifically Outlook for email communications and Excel and Word for data collection and reporting.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid COATS Card
Current driver's license
Valid United States Passport
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must physically be able to operate and/or assist around equipment and/or machinery without violating the restrictions posted in or around the work area.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Competitive Wage and Benefits.
The employer reserves the right, upon a conditional offer of employment, to require the applicant to submit to drug and/or alcohol testing. In addition, employees are subject to drug and alcohol testing during the course of employment.